GEN partnered with MiSK Foundation to launch the Entrepreneurship World Cup (EWC), and now it is even bigger and better than last year.
Last year, the Entrepreneurship World Cup announced its presence globally with 102,000 entrants from 187 countries. Facing a global pandemic in 2020 that has severely limited live, face-to-face gatherings, it is somehow on track to grow even larger.
EWC combines a global pitch competition, powered by a collection of national organizers, along with access to free training, mentorship and perks to help participants start and scale.
Those organizers are responsible for running and promoting national competitions that feed into a Global Finals with startups of all stages - idea, early and growth - pitching for their share of US$1 million in cash prizes and much more through in-kind support. They vary greatly from country to country - in some cases a federal government agency plays that role while in others it may be a local startup accelerator or prominent university.
To highlight the contributions of some of our national organizers, we will be publishing a series of articles in the weeks and months ahead of the EWC 2020 Global Finals. To get started, we spoke with a few veteran organizers from EWC 2019. We were eager to learn how EWC has impacted their startup ecosystem and what they are hoping to accomplish in 2020.
As we add articles, we will update the list below:
- Argentina Aims for Return to Top 5 at Global Finals (published: 4 June 2020)
Interview with Jorge Lawson of GEN Argentina
- South Africa Looking Toward Entrepreneurial Expansion (published: 9 June 2020)
Interview with Mahlatse Tolamo of 22 On Sloane
- Egypt Shining Global Spotlight on Its Entrepreneurs (published: 15 June 2020)
Interview with Basma Hasan Said of GEN Egypt
- Bolivia Reaps Benefits of Adaptation and Resilience (published: 23 June 2020)
Interview with René Salomón of GEN Bolivia
- Malaysia's Robust Startup Ecosystem Launches New Initiatives (published: 29 June 2020)
Interview with Zulikhwan Ayub of GEN Malaysia
- Venezuela's Vigorous Entrepreneurial Movement (published: 7 July 2020)
- Interview with Dunia de Barnola of GEN Venezuela
- Global Host of EWC Leaders' Hope to Unify the Diverse Country of India (published: 9 July 2020)
Interview with Arnav Sahni of The Global Education & Leadership Foundation (tGELF)