Thank you for getting involved in Global Entrepreneurship Week. This signature activity guide is intended to give entrepreneurs a platform to share their "Aha" moment with people alike, across every country during GEW 2021.
There are four themes for GEW 2021:
- Inclusion; and
ABOUT GLOBAL ENTREPRENEURSHIP WEEK
Global Entrepreneurship Week is a massive campaign to celebrate and empower entrepreneurs in every country and community around the world – especially those individuals who face structural barriers or may have never considered the idea of launching their own startup. Each November, 10 million people take part in tens of thousands of activities, competitions and events that inspire them to act and provide them with the knowledge, experience and connections they need to succeed.
The closing of so many businesses and loss of jobs brought on by COVID-19 has been a wake-up call. Nations are rallying to reboot our economies for a better, more sustainable and equitable post-pandemic world. Meanwhile, they also are rethinking approaches to build back stronger and regenerate growth.
Global Entrepreneurship Week reaches beyond high-tech startup hubs like Silicon Valley, London and Shanghai – envisioning one entrepreneurial ecosystem open to all, including smaller cities in emerging economies and under-represented communities, whether systemically marginalized, geographically hard-to-reach or otherwise pushed aside or left out. National campaigns in 180+ countries are driven by local event organizers who plan activities tailored to their community’s needs.
Global Entrepreneurship Week is powered by the Global Entrepreneurship Network with support from the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation, a diverse collection of national host organizations in 180+ countries and 20,000 local partner organizations.
The Global Entrepreneurship Network operates programs, like Global Entrepreneurship Week, that make it easier for anyone, anywhere to start and scale a company. GEN divides its programs into four distinct categories: those intended to celebrate entrepreneurs and inspire others to follow in their footsteps; those intended to better understand the underlying conditions that best enable entrepreneurs to thrive; those intended to support entrepreneurs through proven policy and programmatic interventions; and those intended to connect entrepreneurs, ecosystem builders and community leaders to strengthen local ecosystems around the world.
Partners are encouraged to plan activities tailored to their needs. Activities during the Week can range from small, local gatherings to massive international competitions – or anything in between. Meanwhile, a collection of signature activities provide partners with a ready-made offering and a set of instructions to plan a local (or virtual) activity like a Startup Huddle event, Speed Network the Globe session or a Startup Nations Policy Hack for your community.
While Global Entrepreneurship Week only takes place one week each year, the connections made are long-lasting. GEW serves as an opportunity to collaborate and engage with organizations and individuals to celebrate and spotlight entrepreneurs, expose people to the path of entrepreneurship, help them get started and facilitate access to capital and the resources they need to succeed.
ABOUT I AM AN ENTREPRENEUR
During Global Entrepreneurship Week, we encourage people to explore entrepreneurship and provide them access to resources that help them along their entrepreneurial journey. The goal of the I Am an Entrepreneur activity is to give entrepreneurs a platform to share their "Aha" moment with people alike, across every country during GEW 2021.
We want to hear from you about your journey to success. What made you want to become an entrepreneur? Was there a specific "Aha" moment that catapulted your career into entrepreneurship? When did you realize you were an entrepreneur?
HOW DOES IT WORK
- Record a short video answering a variation of the questions below.
- Describe your "Aha" moment.
- What made you want to become an entrepreneur?
- Was there a specific "Aha" moment that catapulted your career into entrepreneurship?
- When did you realize you were an entrepreneur?
- Keep the video between 30-40 seconds, filmed in one continuous shot looking directly into the camera.
- Start your video with a pause for 2 seconds, then start with the statement: "I realized I was an entrepreneur when ______."
- End your video as follows, "My name is ______" then pause for 1-2 seconds and say "I am an entrepreneur."
- Upload your video using this link: *COMING SOON*
- Post your video on social media with the hashtags, #GEW2021 and #IAmAnEntrepreneur.
- Three finalists are selected, winning membership into the GEN Starters Club and put into a public vote to decide the winner.
- Winner receives a free trip to the next Global Entrepreneurship Congress.
TIPS FOR FILMING
- Use natural lighting
- If recording from a laptop:
- Sit facing a window with natural sunlight.
- Avoid tilting your laptop to position yourself on the screen. Instead, place a few books or a box under your laptop so that the camera is eye-level. This will be the most flattering angle for your face and will also avoid odd angles in your backdrop.
- If recording from a smartphone:
- Make sure to prop your phone up against a flat surface and sit somewhere with natural sunlight facing you.
- Clear out clutter in the background
- Try sitting in front of a window that has a clutter-free background or is against a clean wall so the video is void of distractions.
- Reduce background noise + aim for quality audio
- If you have a USB microphone or lavalier microphone, it can help minimize background noise and improve sound quality.
- Three (3) finalists receive entry into the GEN Starters Club
- Community of talented founders with access to global connections with experienced entrepreneurs, mentors and investors.
- Learn more at genstarters.co.
- Three (3) finalist videos will gain exposure and be featured through GEN's global networK
- GEW website.
- GEN's social media channels.
- One (1) winner will receive a free trip to the next Global Entrepreneurship Congress
- Scheduling information on when / where to come soon.
- Access to special programming for GEN Starters.
DATES TO REMEMBER
Please submit your video by:
*Date and Time to come soon*
Winner(s) to be announced shortly after Global Entrepreneurship Week.
ABOUT THE GLOBAL ENTREPRENEURSHIP NETWORK
I Am an Entrepreneur is powered by the Global Entrepreneurship Network.
The Global Entrepreneurship Network operates a platform of projects and programs in 170 countries aimed at making it easier for anyone, anywhere to start and scale a business. By fostering deeper cross-border collaboration and initiatives between entrepreneurs, investors, researchers, policymakers and entrepreneurial support organizations, GEN works to fuel healthier start and scale ecosystems that create more jobs, educate individuals, accelerate innovation and strengthen economic growth.
GEN’s extensive footprint of national operations and global verticals in policy, research and programs ensures members have uncommon access to the most relevant knowledge, networks, communities and programs relative to size of economy, maturity of ecosystem, language, culture, geography and more.
GEN helps celebrate, understand, support and connect entrepreneurs and those who champion them.