For the first time ever, Global Entrepreneurship Week (GEW) will be held in the rural region of Southern Virginia.
The Dan River Region Entrepreneur Ecosystem (DRREE) has been selected as the community organizer for GEW 2020 in November. Since early 2014, The DRREE has been intentionally building its entrepreneurial ecosystem in order to create pathways to push momentum forward, break down silos and facilitate opportunities for entrepreneurs across the region to work in new and innovative ways. Currently, the highly collaborative project includes a consortium of 11 resource provider organizations in the Dan River Region that help entrepreneurs and small businesses.
The Dan River Region Ecosystem will be collaborating with entrepreneurs and innovators alike to celebrate and highlight the local entrepreneurial scene. With a robust start to joining the GEW community, this first year will have a very strong ‘grassroots to government’ presence.
The exciting week of events will kick-off with a formal proclamation from the Danville City Council as well as an address and ribbon cutting ceremony hosted by Mayor Alonzo Jones.
The full schedule for GEW 2020 Dan River Region includes:
- Inaugural Danville 'Entrepreneurship Day’ Kick-off hosted by Mayor Jones and the City of Danville Council on November 17
- Big Launch Challenge ‘Lite’ Pitch Competition hosted by The Launch Place on November 18
- Student Entrepreneurs: Small Business Idea Fair hosted by DCC, PEA, and Pittsylvania County Schools on November 19
- Black Business Expo hosted by Bigger Than Us Studios on November 21
- Southern Virginia Ecosystem Builders & Community Organizers Meetup co-hosted by The Dan River Entrepreneur Ecosystem and SOVA Innovation Hub on November 22
The well rounded schedule represents the talent and potential of our rural entrepreneurial ecosystem. There is engagement and enthusiasm, from student entrepreneurs to ecosystem builders, coming together to participate in Global Entrepreneurship Week. Additionally, carried throughout all of the events this year, there will be intentional diversity and inclusion elements to ensure there are no barriers to participation.
For more information on GEW 2020: Dan River Region, please contact Jessica Edwards, DRR Ecosystem Development Principal.