While we can’t gather in person, you’re invited to join us remotely on Wednesday, November 18th for a day of education that gathers our community to learn, network and share their lived experiences during the pandemic. With small businesses encompassing 98 per cent of all business in our province, we keenly understand the challenges entrepreneurs currently face. That’s why each session on the day delivers practical advice tailored toward navigating our “new normal.”
Attendees can expect a series of engaging webinars, panel discussions featuring local entrepreneurs, a virtual tradeshow, and breakout rooms for networking with fellow attendees speed dating-style.
Build. Grow. Thrive. Agenda
09:30am – 10:00am: Virtual Event Doors Open
Take a seat in one of our networking rooms, introduce yourself to fellow attendees, or take some time to meet with the exhibitors at our virtual trade show and learn how they can help your business. Keep an eye on the announcements in our lobby for regular updates throughout the day.
10:00am – 10:10am: Introduction to the Event (Main Stage)
Join us for the launch of the day’s schedule, with remarks from Tom Conway, CEO, Small Business BC, and Kendall Gross, President, Island Savings.
10:15am – 10:55am: Digital eCommerce 101 – Elevating Your Digital Presence (Main Stage) – Presented by Digital Main Street
During COVID-19, it’s been proven customers are still out there – they’ve just migrated online. Join the experts from Digital Main Street and learn key tips and best practices for taking your digital presence to the next level. With the bustling Holiday season around the corner, now is the time to boost your business website.
11:00am – 11:15am: Breakout Room – with Digital Main Street
Join Digital Main Street in our Breakout Room, network and ask questions relating to your business. These shorter breakout sessions offer a smaller, more casual environment for learning.
11:15am – 11:55am: Accessing Capital to Help You Grow (Main Stage) – Presented by Island Savings
Experiencing a lull in business due to the pandemic? While focus during this time is understandably on surviving, slow times also present an opportunity to fine-tune your business, and identify areas of potential growth. Join Jesse Honkanen, Regional Manager, Business Banking at Island Savings and learn ways you can access the capital you need to reach your growth goals.
12:00pm – 12:15pm: Breakout Room – with Island Savings
Join Island Savings in our Breakout Room, network and find answers relating to your unique business situation. These shorter breakout sessions offer a smaller, more casual environment for learning.
12:15pm – 1:30pm: Panel Discussion: Small Business Stories – Starting and Growing a Business (Main Stage)
The business start-up phase is a thrilling time with endless possibilities. It’s also a challenging period with plenty of learning. Learn valuable tips and approaches from those who have successfully navigated this path and discover shortcuts for the road ahead. This panel discussion will last approximately 60 minutes, with 15 minutes at the end for questions and answers.
- Jill Van Gyn, CEO, Fatso
- Teara Fraser, Lead Executive Officer, Iskwew Air
- Miranda Lievers, COO and Co-Founder, Thinkific
- Mike Willie, Owner, Sea Wolf Adventures
Moderated by Karley Cunningham, Big Bold Brand
1:45pm – 2:25pm: Business Goal Setting for Entrepreneurial Success (Main Stage) – Presented by Small Business BC
Faced with challenges in adapting your business to service our “new normal?” Goal setting offers a powerful and proven pathway to succeeding at these challenges. Join Laura Aveledo, Business Planning and International Trade Advisor, Small Business BC, and learn how to set impactful goals using a variety of goal setting tools.
2:30pm – 2:35pm: Closing Remarks (Main Stage)
Join us at the Main Stage as we hand out the day’s door prize and share information on the day’s events that are still to come.
2:30pm – 2:45pm: Breakout Room – Goal Setting for Success
Join Laura Aveledo of Small Business BC in our Breakout Room and receive advice on goal setting specific to your business. These shorter breakout sessions offer a smaller, more casual environment for learning.
2:45pm – 3:30pm: Post Event Networking
Join fellow business owners and discuss what you’ve learned on the day. Make valuable connections and swap stories with those facing the same challenges.
What You’ll Get on the Day
Practical Insights from Industry Experts
Our speakers have been there and done that. They’re ready to share insights they’ve gained from a lifetime of entrepreneurial experiences.
Invaluable Networking Opportunities
Opportunities to network with fellow business owners have been curtailed by the COVID-19 pandemic. Mingle with several hundred locally based entrepreneurs in our virtual networking rooms. Build valuable connections that will help your business.
British Columbia’s Leading Tools and Resources for Entrepreneurs
Between Small Business BC’s educational resources and Envision Financial’s best-in-class business banking services you’ll finish the day informed and ready to navigate the challenges ahead.
Meet with our speakers in a dedicated space and ask them tailored questions relating to your business.
The Support of a Community
During times such as the COVID-19 pandemic, we are stronger when we come together. Learn from those experiencing similar challenges, hear how they pivoted, and leave inspired to take your business to the next level.
How it Works
Small Business BC and our partners at Envision are proud to pioneer a whole new event experience for our audience. We understand this is likely new for you. After all, it’s new for us too! Here’s how the process will work from this point on. Start by clicking the “Register Now” button at the top of the page to secure your place.
Prior to the Event
- After registration, you will receive a confirmation email. This means your place is secure and no further action is required until the day of the event.
- 30 minutes before the event begins, you will receive a reminder email with the direct link to the event. At this point, the virtual doors will be open and
Welcome to Build. Grow. Thrive.
- Once you enter the virtual event, you’ll be in the lobby area. On the left-hand side of your screen, you’ll have several options:
- Lobby – major announcements and agenda items
- Main Stage – where the main presentations will take place
- Breakout Room – a place for small group discussion with presenters following sessions
- Networking – meet and build meaningful connections with fellow attendees speed dating style! Swap LinkedIn info or contact details before time runs out…
- Expo Booths – visit our exhibitors and find out how they can help your small business
- Event Attendees – want to connect with a specific attendee? Book a meeting directly through our Accelevents platform
- At any point in the presentation, feel free to raise questions through the Q&A function at the main stage. It’s as simple as typing your question into a box and hitting submit.
- You can also chat in the lobby using the lobby chat box
- Keep an eye on your notifications and meeting requests at the top of the screen. This is where you’ll be alerted when people want to connect with you.
This is our second time delivering Build. Grow. Thrive. virtually and we wanted to share some common issues to help you enjoy a seamless experience on the day.
- The optimal web browser to use for our Accelevents platform is Google Chrome
- Please allow cookies and access to mic and camera in our Networking Area
- For best experience, close any other programs that use your camera (Zoom, Skype, Microsoft Teams etc) while in the Networking Area
- Keep an eye on our Announcements Section for updates throughout the day
- We will host an Info Desk on the day where attendees can find answers to any technical questions