Purpose & process
The aim of the JA Company Programme is to enable students to form their own real enterprise and discover first-hand how a company functions. They elect a board of directors from amongst their peers, raise share capital, and market and finance a product or service of their own choice.
At the end of the programme they present a report and accounts to their shareholders.
Students learn to:
- Raise real finance by selling shares
- Open and use their own company bank account
- Carry out market research
- Work together to create their business plan
- Develop their own product or service
- Market and promote their product or service
- Trade with the public
- Manage the company finances
- Take part in trade fairs
- Compete with other schools in 'company of the year' competitions.
- Learning outcomes
Students can develop enterprising skills, attitudes and behaviours, including:
- Creative thinking and problem solving
- Communication and presentation skills
- Confidence and a can-do attitude
- Teamwork and leadership
- Negotiation and decision making
- Setting goals and time management
- Risk management
- Curricular or thematic relevance