Digital Innovation In Food Business (Digital-IFB) is a start-up competition that aims to boost innovation in the food business. The competition further aims to attract and empower entrepreneurs from around the world, helping them grow their business ideas, connecting them to investors and global markets, and strengthening their innovative capabilities to the benefit of the food industry supply chain and society.
The world today is facing tremendous challenges such as population growth, natural resource scarcity, and climate change, of which all affect the current agriculture and food system. To tackle these challenges and effects, sustainable and innovative solutions need to be developed in the food business supply chain.
Global Digital Innovation in Food Business Competition Bangkok 2018
The competition will take place on Sunday, September 23rd as part of the GEN Asia Conference at Digital Thailand Big Bang 2018, in collaboration with Thailand’s Ministry of Digital Economy and Society (MDES) and Digital Economy Promotion Agency (DEPA).
The GEN Asia Conference will be hosted at Impact, Muang Thong Thani from September 20 – 23, 2018.
Setup of Global Digital Innovation in Food Business Competition
Startups from around the world and Thailand are invited to submit applications for the opportunity to present their digital innovative and creative solutions that can benefit and improve the food supply chain.
Ten international teams among the applicants will be selected and invited to Bangkok to pitch at the event with air tickets and accommodation covered.These teams are then entitled to present their ideas to the jury at the final competition for prize money and the opportunity to participate at this international event. After the presentation of the business ideas, the winner of the competition will be announced.
We are looking for new and original business ideas with a strong market potential. To participate in the competition, you/ your team should meet the following criteria:
- At least one participant in the team must have an education or a background with innovations and solution that can be related to improve or impact the food industry supply chain
- Submission can be either as an individual or as a team with a maximum of 6 team members
- The individual/team must own the right to the idea
- If you already have a company/ startup, then the external capital investment should not exceed USD 500,000
To apply, you need to submit the respective application form and an introduction video ( 3 minute maximum) to the business idea.
What Are The Categories Of Food Business?
The category is relatively broad and it can be hard to see what is hiding under what can be included in processes, application, systems and solutions for “food businesses” supply chain. The specification of the range of food industries below is not a definite list of what is and what is not included in the food industry.
The purpose of the list is to create a better understanding of which companies can be considered being eligible for digital- IFB Challenge:
- Transportation & Logistic
- Packaging & distribution solutions
- Food traceability
- Content production
- IT & Applications
- Marketing & sales
- Food safety
- Farming technology & sustainability issues
- Eco-friendly & organic solutions
- Technology advancements & research
- Leisure activities
- Functional foods
- Processing solutions and many more!
The Mechanics – How to Apply
The best team from the universities/ colleges/ public are entitled to participate in Digital Innovation In Food Business (national competition). The teams will need to go through the following steps;
Nominate your team and submit your team’s application using the form at the bottom of this page.
Along with the application form, your team must also submit a pitch-deck of your business plan, with answers to the guiding questions below.
- What is the Problem/ Opportunity Your Business is Solving?
- What is your PRODUCT/ SERVICES?
- What is your competitive advantage/ USP?
- Who is your Market?
- How are you planning to make money?
Please upload your pitch-deck in the form below
Participating teams will need to submit your Business Concepts online
- Shortlisted teams will be informed after the judges panel have voted on the finalist.
- 15 finalist will be invited to attend a pitching session on 23 September 2018 at Impact, Muang Thong Thani
- The winner will be announced on 23 September 2018
Here are some of the guidelines that the judges will take into consideration during the evaluation phase.
Evaluation Criteria for the Pitch-deck
The evaluation of the submissions registered in the contest will be done by a panel of local experts both from creative industry & business industry.
A. Delivery: Overall Pitch (Effective story telling/ message delivery, audience engagement, creativity, clarity)
B. Content: How effectively the following components are identified and explained:
- What’s the Problem/ Opportunity your business solve?
- What is your Product/ Services?
- What’s your competitive advantage/ USP?
- Who is your market?
- How are you making money?
Evaluation Criteria for the Business Concept
Each team must describe its creative competencies and how they are utilized. The evaluation of business concept will be done by jury of experts from creative industry and business industry.
A. Originality: Is the business idea a new one or is it being used in a new context?
- Revolutionary in terms of their product or service, social relations, customer approach, markets or other ways.
- Change the value chains of the creative industries or use creative competencies to change the value chains in other industries.
B. Creativity: Are creative competencies crucial for the success of the business idea
- Are able to convince the jury that their creative skills are world class in one or more fields
- Engage customers or others in creative processes
- Beat their competitors by harnessing creative skills
C. Market potential: Does the business concept entail a market potential?
- Are a good investment
- Are scaleable or in some ways unique to the point where others cannot copy it
- Generate new needs and new markets
- Present a strong overview of the existing market situation and how to engage customers
- Demonstrate the presence of financial and strategic flair within the team, thereby combining creative skills with business skills
- Are realistic in terms of risks and possibilities
- Have take steps to handle relevant issues regarding intellectual property rights
- Cash Prize
- Networking with VC’s
Workshop on how to strengthen business skills
Networking with startups from other countries and entrepreneurs from the food industries
Global Partners and Network
IFB’s global partners include Global Entrepreneurship Network (GEN) and Creative Business Network (CBN). Both these organisations provide year-round platforms of programs and initiatives aimed at creating one global entrepreneurial ecosystem.
GEN and CBN helps people in over 160 countries unleash their ideas and turn them into promising new ventures—creating jobs, accelerating innovation and strengthening economic 1 stability around the world. CBN host the Creative Business Cup (CBC) being a leading competition attracting creative startups from over 150 countries to compete in Copenhagen every November.
Any questions and correspondence regarding digital- IFB Challenge 2018 should be directed to: Digital Innovation In Food Business Competition Secretariat: firstname.lastname@example.org
Global Entrepreneurship Thailand at its sole discretion may choose not to disclose certain information in a response to any question or query, if in our view such details would affect the fairness or transparency of the contest or convey an undue advantage to an applicant.
Global Entrepreneurship Thailand also reserves the right to disclose to all other applicants an answer or clarification to a question from an applicant in the interest of fairness, objectivity, and transparency of this contest.