The Taiwan startup ecosystem has been always open to the world. In 2015, the government introduced the specific measure, Taiwan Entrepreneur Visa, to more welcome the innovative international talents and entrepreneurs. Taiwan launched the Entrepreneur Visa in order to attract foreign entrepreneurs to engage in Taiwan’s startup ecosystem.
- No need to set up a business beforehand.
- Get residency for 1 year with unlimited Entry.
- Extend visa without leaving Taiwan.(up to 2 years)
- Get visas for up to 3 team members with one common application.
In 2015, was under National Development Council and then transfer to SMEA, MOEA in 2017
1. Eligibility (applicants must meet at least one of the criteria )
- Received venture capital investment or international fundraising of more than NT$ 2 million.
- Received approval to reside at a recognized innovation park or incubator in Taiwan.
- Obtained patent rights or professional skills certificate.
- Has been awarded in a leading startup or design competition, or has been involved in a foreigner entrepreneurship project in Taiwan.
- Has been or is currently located in a startup accelerator recognized by the Taiwanese government.
- The enterprise or the person in charge of the enterprise has been nominated or awarded in a film festival.
- Received innovation subsidy of at least NT$ 3 million from the central government or at least NT$ 1 million from the local government.
- Possesses other innovation capability specified or recommended by the Taiwanese government.
- Has established enterprise with innovation capability in Taiwan and acts as its legal representative, manager or director with an investment of at least NT$ 1 million.
2. How to apply?
The foreign applicants inside Taiwan may apply for the visa within 45 days before the duration of stay expires. The applicants may, without leaving Taiwan, apply for the visa from the Bureau of Consular Affairs or any of its Central, Southwestern, Southern, or Eastern Taiwan Offices. The applicants outside Taiwan are advised to apply for the visa from Taiwan overseas mission.
Feedback from foreigner startup:
Raphael Seghier: Taiwan is a great place to live and grow business