posted on August 14, 2019
Global Entrepreneurship Network, a year-round platform of programs and initiatives aimed at creating one global entrepreneurial ecosystem, is seeking a Communications Associate to increase and amplify the communications output for the organization and to assist in promotional efforts for all of its programs.
GEN operates a platform of projects and programs in 170 countries aimed at making it easier for anyone, anywhere to start and scale a business. By fostering deeper cross border collaboration and initiatives between entrepreneurs, investors, researchers, policymakers and entrepreneurial support organizations, GEN works to fuel healthier start and scale ecosystems that create more jobs, educate individuals, accelerate innovation and strengthen economic growth.
JOB DESCRIPTION + KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
GEN is looking for an energetic, positive self-starter with strong writing and editing skills and an eye for good design -- preferably with previous exposure to and/or involvement in the startup/entrepreneurship space -- to help tell its story. The Communications Associate will report to the Executive Vice President and be responsible for recruiting, creating, designing and delivering various communications materials including blogs / updates, newsletters, social media posts, press releases, brochures, presentations and more. The position requires infrequent / occasional international travel.
- Content Creation
- Recruit, copyedit and publish content from network for all related websites
- Write occasional original stories for all related websites
- Develop and disseminate email newsletters and marketing campaigns and manage relevant databases
- Plan, create and distribute promotional materials, company literature, news updates and other forms of communication for both print and electronic dissemination
- Work with designer(s) to create visually appealing, brand enforcing materials such as the GEN Impact Report, expo booth designs and social media cards
- Proofread and copyedit all communications output
- Social Media
- Daily responsibility for maintaining and updating all core social media channels, including select senior leadership accounts
- Coach staff on appropriate ways to engage the brand through social media
- Develop and oversee a list of social media ambassadors
- Create social media toolkits for projects as needed
- Planning / Editorial
- Assist with development of and lead implementation of communication plans for the organization and its various projects
- Assist with the development and implementation of social media strategy for all core channels to increase size and engagement levels
- Brand Enhancement
- Ensure brand consistency and professionalism on all external pieces, including document layout and formatting
- Help monitor and enforce brand discipline among staff as well as network members
- Media Relations
- Create and deliver press releases and media relations content
- Monitor news clips and compile major clips on website
- Track featured events for Global Entrepreneurship Week and develop related communications pieces outlining them
- Provide marketing and communications support, as required, for strategic partnerships and related projects
- Bachelor’s Degree in marketing, communications, journalism or other related field required
- Demonstrated writing and proofing skills
- Solid organizational skills
- Self-starter, motivated to work independently and prioritize weekly tasks based on company needs
- Familiarity with basic HTML and content management systems (Drupal experience a plus)
- Graphic design skills and experience with design software, such as Adobe Creative Suite (especially Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign) a plus
- Exposure to and familiarity with the field of entrepreneurship and startups
Please submit a resume and relevant work samples to Alan Simensky at firstname.lastname@example.org.
GEN is a not-for-profit organization with global headquarters in Washington, DC, and host organizations in more than 170 countries. This position is based in Washington, DC. GEN will only consider applications from U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the United States.