Less Than 100 Days Remain Until #GEW2017
WASHINGTON, D.C. – In less than 100 days, more than 10 million people around the world will take part in Global Entrepreneurship Week – marking the 10th year for the global movement and weeklong celebration.
Since the first effort in 2008, Global Entrepreneurship Week has helped nearly 50 million people explore their potential to start and grow new businesses – strengthening emerging startup ecosystems and empowering them through global connections.
“In a relatively short period of time, communities and countries everywhere have come to understand the need to support their most innovative citizens,” said Jonathan Ortmans, president of the Global Entrepreneurship Network, who has led the effort since it began. “Global Entrepreneurship Week provides an opportunity to expand their reach to new audiences from all parts of their local ecosystem and foster connections and resources that enable them to thrive.”
The campaign began with an emphasis on inspiring young people to make their mark and has since evolved into a far-reaching effort that engages entrepreneurs, investors, policymakers, researchers, support organizations and others collaborating to advance economic growth and innovation in all different types of economies and cultures.
#GEW2017 will be November 13-19 and GEN is counting down the weeks by recognizing some of the stories that demonstrate its impact over the past 10 years – as well as some lighter efforts.
- Startup Success Stories: Since the beginning, GEW has focused on encouraging innovative ideas and helping new businesses start – and has seen founders tackle some of the world’s most challenging issues. Through partner competitions and GEN’s own Startup Open, founders have pitched their ideas, received feedback and obtained success on a global level. GEN will recognize 10 entrepreneur and startup success stories as part of 10 Years of Unleashing Ideas.
- Country Profiles: GEN will highlight countries that have participated in Global Entrepreneurship Week since the very beginning in a series of 10 stories – spanning five continents – featuring host profiles and exploring the changes in their local and national ecosystems.
- Influential Voices: Over the past 10 years, countless thought leaders have gotten involved in Global Entrepreneurship Week. GEN will feature guest commentaries from a range of entrepreneurship experts including entrepreneurs, investors, policymakers and researchers from around the world.
- Individual Impact Stories: Millions of people have participated in GEW events, activities and competitions each year. GEN plans to highlight individual stories and moments from Global Entrepreneurship Week events and activities from the past decade. If you have a personal success story about how GEW inspired or helped you, please submit it online.
- Top 10 Lists: What 10 year celebration would be complete without a series of Top 10 lists? Through its social media channels, GEN will cover everything from its favorite entrepreneurship books to read and movies to watch, to the top reasons to become a GEW partner.
Global Entrepreneurship Week is made possible by the support of the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation, which has been behind it since day one, and a broad collection of partner organizations.
For more information about Global Entrepreneurship Week, or how you can get started in your country, visit gew.co/start.